1. I like to watch Christmas movies in the summer...or the spring or the fall or the winter...I have over 40 Christmas movies on DVD and, if I'm feeling down, I watch one of them and my spirits start to rise and I feel restored to my "happy place" (as Kaleb calls it).
2. I can't spell worth a flip. Thank goodness for spell-check.
3. I gave birth to my first child the day before my senior year in high school started. Hmmm. You know, when I put it like that, it almost sounds like the whole birth event kind of caught me by surprise, huh? Well, it did! I had no idea it was going to happen. Okay. That's a lie. I really can't back that up. I mean I didn't know it was going to happen on that day, but still...I had a pretty good idea that I would be giving birth on or near that moment in time. The giant belly, swollen feet and hell-acious labor pains were big clues. On a serious note, though. I wouldn't trade one bit of my history if it meant I couldn't have my son, Nick, just the way he is. But I know that getting pregnant and having a baby that young robbed me of many opportunities in life. It's all worked out fine for me, but it's a road and a journey I wouldn't wish on anyone else. I highly recommend a person finding out who they are before they embark on a mission to form and guide another human life. Thankfully, Nick's turned out great - but that's more a testament to his innate abilities rather than any parenting skills I possessed. In fact, you might say he's a wonderful human being more in spite of me than because of me. Now that I've shared much more than I had anticipated, I will back off some and try to find lighter random things about me. I guess that would mean I shouldn't even mention the time I got arrested for disorderly conduct for yelling at a neighbor (apparently, in the state of Mississippi at that time, you could threaten a person with severe bodily harm, you just couldn't YELL when you did it.) But again, that's a topic for a later date. Perhaps. Or perhaps not. Now lets move on...
4. I flunked the swimming course at the Y.M.C.A. when I was a kid. I didn't even know I was flunking until the day they passed out the certificates and I got one that said "thanks for participating" and my sister got one that said "junior lifeguard". I guess they weren't as impressed with my dog-paddling skills as I thought they were.
5. I love the movie and the book Gone With the Wind (although the book is much, much better if you ask me!). I loved Scarlett O'Hara. I wanted to be Scarlett O'Hara. And I wanted Rhett Butler to be crazy about me, too. Aaahhh, the romance...
6. I smashed Randey's watch when I was in labor with Jacob. And I still say I had every right to do it. I'm sitting there being ripped in two with every single freakin' contraction and he's sitting there whining about "I can't time your contractions. I don't know how. When do I start? blah, blah, blah". So I asked him for his watch and he gave it to me. How dumb was that? I threw it on the floor and shattered the crystal. I figured if the stupid watch wasn't going to help time the contractions, it had no further function in our lives. Randey was...a tab bit upset but not fool enough to say so at that particular moment. Smart man.
7. I don't eat fish or seafood. At all. If it doesn't moo, cluck or oink, it's not the meat for me. Yessir. Cows, chickens or pigs. That's how I roll.
8. When we were young, I used to tell my sister, who is a year older than me - almost to the day - that she was adopted and that I was actually older than she was but the parents made me pretend to be younger so her feelings wouldn't be hurt. Rumor has it that I also told a little neighbor girl of my grandma's that I was going to put her in a pot and cook her. I'm sure that's not true, however. I think I tried to keep my tendencies to torture innocent children limited to just my sister.
Well, that's 8 things. I'm torn between hanging my head in shame that I can't be anymore exciting than I am or deleting all of this and making up a better list. But that wouldn't be right, would it? Better? Yes. Right? No. So this is it. Now I have to find some other people to tag. I'm not very clear on tagging etiquette so if I screw this up, please forgive me. Thanks (I think) Sophie for tagging me. It's been fun!